[ale] Screwed by PPP0E

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Thu Jun 2 22:52:13 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 09:34 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 02:23 -0400, Raylynn Knight wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 07:12 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> > > Raylynn Knight wrote:
> > <SNIP>

> > > This is likely true.  Care to share what you're paying and what your
> > > speed is?
> > >
> > I have the SpeedHome Platinum DSL (3M x 384K) + 5 Residential Static
> > IP's for 69.95 per month.
>
> 	Are you SURE you don't have PPPOE?  I was under the impression, from
> them, that PPPOE has always been required for that setup from Speed
> Factory.
>
> 	That particular configuration is normally PPPOE but the PPPOE link may
> be (probably is) managed by your dsl modem.  It plays PPPOE with SF and
> provides you with a /29 and acts as a router between the two, which is
> why the "5" addresses.  A /29 has 8 addresses and you loose one to the
> "all zeros" network address, one to the "all ones" broadcast address and
> one to the router address itself, hence 5 "usable" addresses.  I
> remember one person telling me (I think it was at an AUUG meeting) of
> switching a modem in that configuration into passthrough mode and using
> all the addresses.  You could hook up something like a LinkSys WRT
> wireless router to something like that and have the static addresses out
> on your wireless.

My five addresses are from a /29 so you are most likely correct.  I
don't have to deal with the PPPOE nonsense, so assumed I didn't have it.
I just never considered that the dsl modem was handling the PPPOE
negotiation.

> 	If you look on one of your systems at the interface configuration and
> you see a netmask like 255.255.255.248, then I can almost guarantee that
> you have PPPOE, it's just being managed by that modem so you don't see
> the magic being performed under the hood.  You'll probably also find
> your default route is the .1 address in that /29 (which would be the
> modem's address on your side).  If you put the modem in "passthrough"
> mode, then you would have to manage the PPPOE yourself and you would
> find those addresses routed to you, through it.  In managed mode, you
> just use dhcp to pull down addresses, but they come from the modem.

I'll take your word for this as I'd have to do some digging to find the
credentials for logging into the interface on the modem.