[ale] iptables limits?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 2 19:14:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 17:04 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Are there any known limits to the number of rules in iptables?  I
> currently have about 27000+ rules, with no noticeable issues.  What's
> the upper limit, if there is any, and what are the limiting factors?

27000+ !!

You need to get out more and see the big blue room :)

Ram is the only limit I have seen in the kernel specs on it. For most
modern systems that are mostly dedicated to firewalling, the wire speed
will always be the limiting factor. The iptables process (barring
strange loops that are VERY BAD) is a quite streamlined, multi-threaded
process. I do know that performance can suffer if rule ordering is poor
and every packet is forced through every table. I get pretty good
results with a table for each protocol/port that is allowed that nees
further filtering to block out bozo's (morons doing ssh scans should get
blocked on all ports as they are up to no good)

I don't know about mental space to keep the rule alignment right...