[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:03:28 EDT 2005

Well said and I agree with you. I do believe that Debian needs to
release more frequently. I just don't think that it should be
discounted without good reason. Your list of needs does make the use
of stable a tough thing to do and I wouldn't recommend anyone run
testing as a server.

At least someone experienced with Debian has finally been able to step
up and give some clear reasons why he doesn't use it. I would even
venture to say that this is the first time such a thing has happened
on the list. Most of the times it is "I tried to install it and
couldn't figure it out so it sucks" or "Everything is just too old and
there isn't any way to fix it." Finally, we get some good points as to
which packages are too old for the system to function properly and
why.

If Debian actually hits the estimated release date of Monday for Sarge
then I think they will once again be king. As of now, they really only
appeal to the die hard users such as me.