[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 2 08:18:14 EDT 2005

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I concur completely.  As I posted previously, we run 750+ servers on
> Debian Stable because taht way we don't have to run regression tests on
> every app every week to keep it "up to date" but we know it's stable and
> secure, exactly what I want on my server.

I can say the same for SuSE or Red Hat.  The main difference I see is
how far behind the standard 'stable' Debian install is.  I suspect it's
more to do with the fact that it's an all volunteer distro, but yet,
Slackware is ahead of Debian with the packages it provides.

> On all my home machines I run "unstable" which has had a total of 2
> "issues" with broken software in 3 years.  Both of those were minor
> upgrade issues which were easily worked around with a final fix in place
> before COB.  My desktops and laptops have all the latest bells and
> whistles and security is still top line, I just get (and have to do)
> updates more often.

As noted above, I can say the same here.  What's better is I'm running
the same distro and version on server, desktop and laptop, thus I have
less to deal with.

--
Until later, Geoffrey