[ale] Multiple KVM switches?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sun Jan 30 16:21:19 EST 2005

Guys - I have dual monitors and I had an idea and thought I'd run past
you guys.

I was thinking about using 2 different KVM switches, and connecting each
monitor output (on the video card, a matrox g450) to a separate KVM.
The net result is to have 4 machines (4 port KVM) and 2 monitors all
[monitor] switchable independently.  The keyboard and mouse would be
tied to the first KVM continuously.

Let me elaborate:

I have a linksys KVM that controls monitor #1 and keyboard/mouse.  I can
"toggle" through my first monitor/keyboard/mouse using the CTRL keys
(double click).  Here's what I want to try doing.  By using a different
KVM that changes screens using a DIFFERENT key sequence (ALT would be
perfect).  By connecting my Primary monitor output to one of the KVM's
and connecting my Secondary monitor output to a different KVM, I should
in theory be able to switch which monitor is displaying what.

This is tricky to explain.

Can anyone recommend a KVM that switches using a keystroke other than CTRL?

Does anyone think this won't work?

Should I send a diagram?

Is there a better way to do this?  I use multiple operating systems, so
I'm pretty much tied to a hardware solution here.

Any insight is appreciated.

Kind regards,
CB