[ale] Question for the Fedora users

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 29 13:24:35 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 10:01 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I've just installed FC3 on my desktop machine and have attempted to
> update with yum.  Some packages would install/update OK while others
> would complain that there was no public GPG key available.
>
> I've added GPG keys per instructions at http://www.fedorafaq.org and
> even have commented out the gpgcheck lines in my yum.conf downloaded
> from http://www.fedorafaq as well.
>
> That was issue #1.
>
> Since then I have installed yumextender as well, per a post I saw on
> this list.  Looks and works good, but of course was suffering the same
> errors as when using yum from console.
>
> Something has since gone awry as I cannot update yum and yumextender
> will no longer start since I changes some repos.  I get the following:
> [root at localhost etc]# yum check-update
> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - None
> Setting up Repo:  livna-stable
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  fedora-unstable
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  903 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  fedora-stable
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  903 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  livna-unstable
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  updates-released
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  livna-testing
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> Setting up Repo:  base
> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
>

> My yum.conf file mentions that base repos are located
> at /etc/yum.conf.d/ but this directory isn't present currently on my
> system.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to select repositories that will hopefully not
> conflict while at the same time make use of bleeding-edge packages where
> possible.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Drop livna as a repository. They are one of the conflicting version for
Fedora. DAG uses a straight fedora setup to build with and does not have
the conflicts that livna does. livna is trying to be a superset of
fedora.

Go into your /etc/yum.repos.d directory and remove the .repo from all of
the livna configs. That will turn them off. You will need to download a
new yum.rpm or use the one from the install CD's. rpm -e yum then
install the new one.

Here's the repo file for dag (dag.repo).

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

and here's the one that works for base (fedora.repo):

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-
$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

Line wrap warning on the mirrorlist= line