[ale] OT Speedfactory Problems Anyone?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 28 07:03:21 EST 2005

Greg wrote:
> I have 1 static IP with Speedfactory and when I upgraded my service to
> something faster (for free) I had to go to PPPoE.  I was told that
> *everyone* (other ISP's included) was being forced to do this since Bell
> South was giving discounts on greater bandwidth to those who went to PPPoE
> and Speedfactory had to go along to be competitive.  If you upgrade to the
> faster speeds (for free for me and others who got grandfathered in) then you
> can only do this on PPPoE.  They said it was "the wave of the future" for
> all ISPs.  Yes, I know.  I cringed when this happened.  The tech I spoke to
> said it was "better" for them (I'm guessing he owned Bell South stock or is
> an idiot) and was very reliable and "easier to manage" for "them".
>
> I don't know - I'm not a Sys Admin at that level but my research on those
> who are at that level seemed to be that the majority of Sys Admins thought
> PPPoE was crap compared to the old way of Speedfactory's doing things.
> Other than a much weirder & more involved configuration on my firewall(s)
> and DSL modem I haven't noticed any difference.  But I still feel that the
> old way was better.  Just my opinion.
>
> Once again Bell South to the rescue.  I think Geoffrey is correct in his
> opinion of Bell South.

Pretty much the same line I got.  The main issue I have with pppoe is
that you're adding yet another process into the whole system.  One more
thing to break and one more thing to eat up cpu on the firewall.

That being said, I've not see any differences other then the higher
speed which required me to get the pppoe.

--
Until later, Geoffrey