[ale] Problem Installing Suse 9.2

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Jan 28 00:46:55 EST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 10:53, Dow_Hurst wrote:
> This is a problem that has cropped up with certain DVD drives.
>  In fact a whole set of Dell DVD drives in their laptop line shipped
>  with this problem.  SuSE's DVD will get to the point where you should
>  be able to configure software and then error's out.  Just switch to a
>  different DVD drive and you should get around the problem.
>  Or use the CD's instead.
> Dow

Thanks for the tip. It could well be the DVD drive... the box in question is a
$50 salvage operation of an eXpired eMachine. The eMotherboard was eDOA with
intermittent power connector problems (and yes I re-soldered it and no it
didn't help), so the Memory, HD, CD Burner, Modem, eNet card and, with a
little Dremel tool face plate adjustment, the DVD player all migrated to a
newly used MoBo in a more standard case.

I'm burning another copy of the ISO now. If that doesn't make a difference,
I'll try the alternative DVD drive suggestion. Your tip prompted a little web
research, but the problem you are referring to may have more to do with the
fact that the boxed SuSE 9.2 install DVD is Dual Layered. Still, given the
symptoms, the player is a likely a potential failure point.

DVD technology is _so_ lacking in standards and reliability.

I will add that I'm finding the SuSE 9.2 install interface is certainly nice,
so I'm anxious to see how the rest of the SuSE environment has progressed.
My biggest concern was that the DVD-FTP iso posted at ftp.ale.org wasn't
complete or is just an eval version; something I don't want to waste my time
with.

peace
aaron