[ale] Getting Linux OS to boot

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 15:38:42 EST 2005

Geoffrey wrote:

> Trey Sizemore wrote:
>
>> Well, in the Mandrake rescue mode, I told it to install the
>> bootloader to the MBR for /dev/hdb, but it didn't prompt me for which
>> one.  I can find a lilo.conf but no grub.conf even though both are
>> installed.  I don't know *which* bootloader it is!
>

> Look in /boot/grub for menu.lst rather than grub.conf

No, I don't appear to have that either.  Assuming I use lilo to boot
mandrake (big assume) would my lilo.conf entries be thus:

image=/mnt/fedora/boot/vmlinuz
    label=fedora
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/mnt/fedora/boot/initrd.img

image=/mnt/suse/boot/vmlinuz
    label=suse
    root=/dev/hdb5
    initrd=/mnt/suse/boot/initrd

1 - it appears that I can just point to vmlinz in both cases as they are
symlinks to the current vmlinuz files (same for initrd)?
2 - do I need the /mnt/XXX/ or can I just say something like
image=/boot/vmlinuz?