[ale] comcast static IP?

Preston Boyington preston.boyington at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 26 12:26:26 EST 2005

Raylynn Knight wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:01 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
>>
>>Basically this and other such documents (check the EFF site under
>>"cases") states that it is illegal to play a DVD on any device that is
>>"not approved".  This includes computers without "proper" DRM enabled
>>software.
>>
>>Currently the only way to play an ordinary (encrypted) DVD that you
>>would rent from you neighborhood video store on Linux is by using DeCSS.
>
> I believe this is no longer the case.  I seem to recall that the latest
> TurboLinux distribution contains a properly licensed DVD player
> application.

TurboLinux bundles PowerDVD.
(snipped from http://www.turbolinux.com/news/040722.html)

"PowerDVD also includes a Content Scrambling System (CSS) decoder that
supports copyright protection and circumvents data piracy. CyberLink
actively sought and received approval from the DVD Copy Control
Association (DVD CCA) to legally include the decryption algorithms for
Linux users."

It is not a free program and it is not open source.  If you want to
watch an encrypted DVD _legally_ then you must buy a DRM enabled program
(such as PowerDVD) or use another operating system.

according to Linux Business Week:
(http://www.linuxbusinessweek.com/story/44649.htm?DE=1)

"Tokyo-based Turbolinux, which is in the throes of changing owners and
going more retail, says it's got what it calls a new desktop Linux
operating system designed for home users that includes a media player
capable of streaming pure Windows Media-format audio and video.

Umm, that's Windows Media format as in Microsoft, the Evil Empire. As in
licensed. As in negotiating a deal with them. As in bowing to
Microsoft's superior position and reinforcing it.

Ironically, the Windows Media Player is the thing the European
regulators have ordered Microsoft to strip out of Windows."

Interesting reads.

Preston