[ale] Fedora 2 modem recommendation

Preston Boyington preston.boyington at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 26 07:26:39 EST 2005

Steve Durdin wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a 56kb PCI modem for use on Fedora that does not
> become useless when the kernel is updated to a newer version?

I cannot recommend a PCI modem.  I stopped using a PCI modem years ago
and now will only use a decent external modem.

Here is a list of the problems I DON'T have:
1) having to reboot my computer because of a modem "lock" (just turn
modem off and back on, not whole computer)
2) finding some module/string/whatever to make my modem work.  i plug
the thing in and start wvdial/kppp/gnome-dialer/pon
3) wondering if the thing is working (are the lights blinking?)
4) compatability (it works with every operating system)
5) upgradeability (add another at any time, no need to open the case)

I use a Zoom brand modem.  I bought it new off eBay for $45 and after a
week purchased the other two (new) for roughly the same price.

I still have one unopened in my closet.  The other I loaned to my wife's
aunt because she had bought 4 internal modems over a year.  She loves
this external modem and has stated that I won't be getting it back
anytime soon (it's ok she's old and I can wait).  She no longer has
problems connecting to her local internet service and doesn't get
dropped like before.  She is 67 dual-booting ME and Xandros PE.  She
uses ME for some greeting card program for the garden club (and the
impulse buy at Wal-Mart), but Xandros for everything else.  When she
gets back from her camping/hiking next week I am going to upgrade her to
SuSE 9.2 or Debian Sarge so her DVD burner will work to full capacity.

Preston