[ale] Sendmail latency

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 25 12:07:20 EST 2005

> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:08 -0500, Ryan Fish wrote:
> > > I would also verify that the "forwards" section of named.conf has the
> > > correct upstream nameservers identified.
> >
> > I find nothing regarding "forwards" in named.conf
>
> Without a forwards section your DNS requests will all go the the root
> DNS servers (not a real good idea).  Does your hosting/IP provider
> provide DNS servers for you to use?  These would/should be much faster
> then querying the roots.
>
> Here is an example of a forwarders statement:
>
>   forwarders { 192.168.10.10; 192.168.100.10; };

- Where would I add this to named.conf?

> I would also recommend that you change /etc/resolv.conf to this:
>
>    search <your_domain>
>    nameserver 127.0.0.1
>    nameserver 192.168.10.10  <- replace this with your providers DNS
>    nameserver 192.168.100.10  <- replace this with your providers DNS

- If I place the ISP's NS before the local NS (192.168.3.X) I receive
transient parse errors when attempting to send msgs from the mail server.
It is also VERY slow when I do that (I tried that on 14JAN05).

> > - The sendmail processes must be working "right" then.
>
> Sendmail *never* works right, most folks are just lucky. ;-)

Hence, the quotes around the word right...  :)

It appears this entire ordeal could be caused by a message being "stuck" in
one of the five queues used by the JavaMail API in their Java app.  They
restarted their app just a bit ago and three of the five queues cleared out
in seconds while the other two just sat there for some reason.  To be quite
honest, I hope this is the case!!!

Thank you for all of your help (this is to everyone who responded btw).  If
I am still experiencing difficulty with this later today I will be back...
:)