[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 10:21:38 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 09:40 -0500, Brian MacLeod wrote:

> > Here is the list of Comcast *supported* cable interface devices:
> > http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2427.html
> > Are you telling me that full use of 50% of those devices
> > violates my contact with Comcast?  Not.
>
> No, that's not at all what I was saying.  I was saying that if you pull
> your full bandwidth for more than 80% of a day, every day, you are going
> to be suspected of having more than one machine, and for good reason.

But you and/or others have said that it's the amount of equipment not
the bandwidth used.  Your previous logic was that 2 machines NOT using
any bandwidth was a violation of some contract, one that nobody can seem
to provide a sample of.   The 80% has nothing to do with quantity of
equipment in the home, and everything to do with usage (even one
computer is capable of useing 80% of a 3Mb download).

All the while the industry is rushing to embrace things like CableLabs'
CableHome standard (http://www.cablelabs.com/projects/cablehome).  Fully
embraced by Comcast and many others.  Google for "CableHome".

Here are some quotes from this URL:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/3358841

"Comcast holds customer privacy in the highest regard," says company
spokesperson Jeanne Russo. "For customers who prefer to independently
configure and manage their own networks, that option remains in place as
well."

Consumers concerned about the privacy of their home network can opt to
install another router or install the network themselves, according to
Matt Donaruma, another Comcast spokeperson.

"I think the privacy stuff is hugely overblown," says Joe Laszlo,
analyst with JupiterResearch. "There's no sign that Comcast can or will
prevent you from running your own home network with gear separate from
their integrated Linksys modem/router."

"The paranoid can just go out and buy their own Wi-Fi stuff and operate
as normal," he says.

The analyst says Comcast would be "foolish" if they snooped on customers
or broke their Vonage VoIP connection, for instance.

Although it would technologically be simple to break streaming
multimedia or VoIP from a competitor, "the risk of a backlash is too
great," says Laszlo.

Like the others, Mike Wolf, analyst with In-Stat/MDR dismisses any
privacy concerns regarding the Comcast deal. The analyst calls the fears
"unfounded."

Of greater interest to the analysts in the announcement is the growing
trend toward consolidation of devices, such as the combined 802.11g
router and cable modem offered by Linksys.

"The future of home networks will be all-in-one," says Wolf.

-Jim P.