[ale] comcast static IP?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 24 16:28:58 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:26:14PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:01 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > I think he is talking about the DMCA.  Especially DeCSS and probably
> > UNIVERSAL CITY v REIMERDES:
>
> I'm sure he was.  We all know the ins-outs of this case, so it is easy
> for us to see through it.  Why some of those same people are blinded by
> the issues surrounding the number of devices in their home is beyond me.

If you knew I was talking about the DMCA, why did you pretend ignorance?
Are you trolling or being deliberately obtuse?  It's doesn't matter
whether we can "see through" the DeCSS case; it is still illegal.  Yes,
it's an absurd law.  Yes, it's unfair.  Yes, almost all linux
distributions are capable of playing DVDs, and no, you're probably not
going to be arrested for watching the matrix on your linux laptop.  I,
however, am still offended that it is illegal to do so, and ignoring it
won't make it go away.

> Seriously, does the power company care if you have more than 2
> microwaves?  LOL!

*sigh*

Many broadband ISPs include a clause in their terms of service stating
that you must pay an extra fee if you want to connect more than one
computer to the broadband connection.  If you use a NAT router with one
of these ISPs, and do not pay the extra charge, then like Chris said
it's the same as downloading copyrighted files from kazaa.  Yes, it is
ridiculous to put such a clause in the terms of service, and no, I don't
agree with it.  But there it is.  Ignoring it almost certainly won't get
you in trouble, but it won't make it go away either.

Now, you can try and deliberately misunderstand that if you want to, and
possibly even reply with some more analogies that don't apply but do a
good job of clouding the issue, but I'm done taking the bait.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9