[ale] comcast static IP?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 11:26:44 EST 2005

Chris, I think that a lot of the "heat" surrounding this situation is
that the way things are set up, if you get Speedfactory, Speakeasy, or
any other DSL provider than BS, you STILL have to deal with BS (I mean
that in more than one way) even if you don't get a BS bill or talk to BS
people when you call.  The fundamental problem is that BS controls the
last mile and your copper AND they themselves also provide BS DSL
service.  This means that ALL OTHER DSL providers can only provide
service WITH THE COOPERATION OF A DIRECT COMPETITOR.  The conflict of
interest there isn't hard to see.  The moment you have a DSL service
problem that only BS can remedy, you're at BS' mercy and what they have
to give isn't merciful.  On top of all this, technician screw-ups seem
to be endemic, perhaps reflective of how little money BS wants to spend
on techs and their training and QC.  I'm just glad that when this
happened to me and BS dug in their heels to both me and my DSL provider,
I *had* an out in that I could jump to another monopolist (Comcast).

All this being said, if Comcast *does* offer business service, I'm
liable to go with them instead of S*e*a*y no matter how good S*e*a*y is
as a provider.

Incidentally, when my DSL provider in Sandy Springs threw up their hands
and said that my outage isn't their fault, I told them that I held them
responsible for maintaining their relationship with BS.

Jeff