[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 10:57:50 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 10:11 -0500, William Bagwell wrote:
> Do we see a pattern here?

Here's the way I see it:  (tread/thread lightly)

When someone uses SpeedFactory/SpeakEasy they are, in most cases,
essentially dealing with a middle man who is using the exact same
BellSouth cooper as BellSouth would use.  Since most people on this list
run their own mailserver, etc. one needs to inquire as to what the real
advantages are of using a middle man instead of dealing direct with the
provider.

Most people cite higher Tech Support approval with the middle man DSL
providers.  However, if the middle man doesn't own the cooper the only
recourse is for the middle man to go back to the provider (BellSouth)
for resolution.  So... looking at this issue one can presume one of two
things:

  - BellSouth is essentially outsourcing Tech Support to intelligent
    middlemen who intermediate between the customer and BellSouth
    (probably very politely too)

  - Some people are outsourcing their Tech Support problem(s) to a
    an intelligent middleman who argues with BellSouth on their
    behalf (again, probably very politely)

So, The conclusion I draw is this: I can avoid the middle man if I am
intelligent enough to not require their mail/dns services.  All I have
to do is temper my frustrations when dealing with BellSouth.

-Jim P.