[ale] LVM - Can't add new drive?

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Sat Jan 22 13:03:56 EST 2005

I have an FC3 box with a single 30GB drive.  When I built the box, I
knew that I would need more than the 30GB for the /home partition, but
didn't have a larger drive at the time (had one, but it was in use in
the box that this box is replacing).  At any rate, I setup the /home
partition to be an lvm partition.  I'm now to the point of adding the
new drive to the new machine, but I can't seem to get it to 'see' that
new space.  I added the drive, and created (using fdisk) added one
single 160GB lvm (type 8e) partition.  I then used vgextend to add that
drive to my volume group (VolGroup00, not creative, but that wasn't the
idea).  Then, I did lvextend -L 100G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00, and got
no errors.  lvdisplay shows that the LVSize is 150.00GB, but df -h only
shows the following:

[root at linux-fs2 home]# df -h
/dev/hda1             9.7G  1.7G  7.5G  19% /
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                        18G  4.5G   13G  27% /home

I'm on the howto from tldp
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html) now trying to figure
out what I've missed, but would appreciate any gentle nudges in the
right direction.

nathan