[ale] OT: HTML, Forms and Buttons?

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:05:57 EST 2005

True, PHP is a _scripting_ language and HTML is a _markup_ language,
and the browser has no idea what to do with PHP. However, the 'actual'
amount of  HTML in many PHP scripts I have written is _VERY_ small.
Mostly embedded in loops and such that go through and read the
contents of a database query, directory, or other such activities.

What I was trying to get across is that if the page is written in PHP
(on the backend), the form can self-submit, which will get around the
need for frames.

There will be a bit of a learning curve involved, but, as with many
new ideas, it will facilitate better maintenance for the creator, and
will always render correctly. Text browsers, for example, can't render
frames properly. I know we all use Konqueror or Firefox, but there are
several times when I need to use Lynx or (or its more powerful
incarnation, Links), especially if I can't get into an X enironment on
the machine I am logged into.

Text browsers will handle tables to some extent, though it often isn't
pretty (again the exception being Links). But I've always seen them
barf on frames.

Back to the comment about SSI's, an example of 'pure' HTML SSI can be
seen at my work site: www.shodor.org/~wmyers, while the results of my
PHP includes can be seen at warrenmyers.com.

-WMM

--
http://warrenmyers.com
"Don't let the elephants see what the rabbits are doing." --Ben R Rich