[ale] Upgrade hell

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Jan 19 09:54:55 EST 2005

I downloaded the DVD from SuSE a couple of days ago, and installed it on
an AMD64 machine yesterday.  There's way too much of what I use missing
from the download DVD.
I went ahead and installed it anyway because I loaned my retail DVD out
and haven't gotten it back yet.  The CDs don't include the 64-bit kernel
as an option...
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

Cor van Dijk wrote:
>Geoffrey wrote:
>>I'd first go with a newer version.  I've installed SuSE 9.2 on all
>>kinds of hardware.  The main hangup is enough memory.  I've got a
>>pentium 166 laptop with Suse 9.2 (128mb memory).
>>
>Hey, my RH Enterprise 3.3 is from Oct 2003!

Hey, I've got a copy of Netscape (1.1) on a floppy, but that doesn't
mean I use it. :)

>I have Suse 8.2, it is from 2003, but its documentation barely mentions

>usb,
>and says nothing at all about being suitable for a laptop. I hate to
sit
>there
>for an hour or so repartitioning and what not and then be told no go.
>
>But thanks for the tip about Suse 9.2 ( MicroCenter or Fry?)
>I may try that.

You'll pay through the nose at either, you can download a variation of
9.2 pro from SuSE.  I say a variation as it is a dvd which is around 4g,

whereas the packaged version I have is a dual-layer dvd with over 7g.

>Cor
>
>Answer to Dow Hurst: yes, it is a Sony Viao PCG-F630, thanks.

The specs say the video card is a trident cyberblade i7 graphics chip.

--
Until later, Geoffrey