[ale] Dump and Restore on ext3 not ext2

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 17 19:59:48 EST 2005

I'm having some corruption issues with dump and restore.  I have
several machines and I use the utilities to transfer backups to them.
These are all development snapshots we are testing.

Here is how I make the dump:
dump -0 -j9 -f /tmp/SAM/dump /opt/SAM

Here is how I restore:
restore -rf /tmp/SAM.dump

I use scp to transfer the dumps.  All filesystems are ext3 not ext2 I
know the dump man pages mention nothing of ext3 so I'm not sure if that
is related.  After the transfer and restore it is possible for files to
be corrupted.  One of the tomcat xml files were filed with '\0' instead
of XML text.  I'm totally clueless as to how that happened.  I am doing
the dump on a live filesystem.  Could that would be a problem?

Chris