[ale] When to upgrade?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 17 08:54:10 EST 2005

Nick Travis wrote:
> I was debating whether or not I should upgrade the version of my disto
> on a couple of systems.  One of these is a production system and one
> is not, but it is pretty important.  Both are on the Internet so
> security is a concern.  Is there a general rule as to when the OS
> needs to be updated?  For example, if I'm running SUSE 9.0 are there
> any risks associated with not upgrading to 9.2?  What if its 9.1?

Generally, as long as the version is still supported, an upgrade is not
warranted from a security perspective.  I'm pretty sure Suse is still
providing support/updates for all 9.* so you should be okay.

Upgrades are necessary to get newer functionality.  Upgrades for
security purposes are not necessary until the version you're running is
no longer supported.

--
Until later, Geoffrey