[ale] Linux boot screen

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jan 16 21:33:13 EST 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I've been looking into cleaning up the boot/start-up on my laptop,
> specifically, I would like to not display all the debug info but rather
> a linux splash screen.  Google yields lots about old/out-dated projects,
> but nothing too current.  Does anyone have any good experience with
> this, or perhaps some updated details.

Both Mandrake and Suse do this.  You might check out the boot process
there.  There is the following in my grub menu:

gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message

Turns out, message is actually a cpio archive.  One of the items
included there is a background.pcx which is the boot image displayed by
Suse on boot.

The other files in the cpio are as follows:

16x16.font:      data
background.pcx:  PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [639,
479], 8-bit colour, 72 x 72 dpi, RLE compressed
help.en:         data
init:            data
lang:            ASCII text
languages:       ASCII text