[ale] Sample config files for i386 2.6.10 kernels

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 14 08:08:55 EST 2005

Barry Hawkins wrote:

> This post is for Zeb, whom I just met at the ALE Central meeting
> tonight.

Yeah, we've all heard it before.  I've got this friend with a problem.... :)

> Zeb has Slackware on a PIII box running a 2.4.x kernel, and is
> having trouble with a 2.6.10 kernel he is trying to compile.  I am
> really a Debian PowerPC person, so I don't know the story on Slackware
> kernel packaging, etc.

What I would recommend is, download the latest kernel from kernel.org or
some mirror.  Read the README in the /usr/src/linux directory that is
created when unpacking the source.  It's very clear on how to build a
new kernel.  He should use the 'make menuconfig' option if he's building
from a console.  'make xconfig if he's building from X.

He can also look at using make oldconfig, which will default off of the
current kernel's config.

--
Until later, Geoffrey