[ale] Linux on an IMAC G3

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jan 13 23:09:24 EST 2005

I have the recent release of Yellow Dog running on a G3 imac just fine.
Installation was a breeze except for sound, which is still "sort of"
working. (There seems to be something about sound under Linux...) Well,
there was one other issue. I ran out of room on the original hard disk to
have both Linux and OS 9x dual booting, so I performed the needed surgury
to install a 60 meg drive. Be aware that the first two imacs require the
boot information to reside in the first 6-7Gigs of the drive, and the
partition can not extend past those 6-7 Gigs. The easy way around the
limitation if you have it is to put a small boot partition at the
beginning of the disk, just like you often do with intel equipment.

I understand that the Debian release is supposed to be good also, but I
haven't looked at it.