[ale] can't get software sound mixing to work

joh6nn joh6nn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:04:04 EST 2005

hi guys, long time listener, first time caller

i'm real new to linux (real new), and i'm trying to get all settled
into a new mandrake install that my friend helped me get set up, but i
can't get multiple apps to share the sound card; as it stounds, if i'm
listening to music with xmms, all other system sounds (eg, from gaim),
get queued up, and play all at once whenever xmms stops.

i found this page here:
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=e52d0e476651701a47d55c9ee08a91a8&t=18522

but i tried that, and it doesn't seem to have worked.

any thoughts?

background info:
Linux daedalus.joh6nn.com 2.6.3-7mdk #1 Wed Mar 17 15:56:42 CET 2004
i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
es1371          : Creative Labs|Sound Blaster AudioPCI64V/AudioPCI128
[MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO]

-joh6nn