[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 09:42:22 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 05:58 -0800, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> > > I use Yahoo too (obviously), so why do you need
> > POP3 and SMTP ports open
> > > on your upstream network?
>
> Because I use Yahoo POP access.  you know, the service
> you elected not to pay for.

Wrong.  I've been paying for it since day 1.  In fact, I helped
beta-test that service.  I am also a VIP customer of yahoo, no adverts,
etc and not ads on the www interface when I use it.

> I pay $19.99/yr to have more storage space (I
> regularly receive files in excess of 10M via email),

Same here <yawn> except I took the $39.00/yr (does that make you less of
a person?)

> enhanced SPAM protection with throwaway addresses (as
> many as I like), and I have a considerably larger
> number of filters, blocks, etc.

<yawn>  (hoping you don't go into body parts further down in this email)

> I mean, these are all the services we had free when
> yahoo! was announced in '93 (or was it '92??)

Huh?

> the reason I use their SMTP and POP is because I pay
> for the privilege.  Why should BellSouth force me to
> use their servers?  when I was on BellSouth back in
> Baton Rouge, their mail servers and SMTP was down so
> much that I scripted an automated email to support for
> letting them know when their email server went down.
> (this was during the NT/Imail trials)

Dude, you are seriously missing the point.  Bellsouth can block outbound
POP3 and SMTP (responsibly) and you can still access Yahoo!,etc
(responsibly).  Nobody is talking about complete ingress/egress
blocking, although I would prefer they do it that way and then
roll-back.  POP3 is not the issue at all, however SMTP is.  Read up on
MSP/MSA and your eyes will be opened.  Btw, Yahoo has tons of pages just
for you on this:  Start here: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/

> After all, if I want to receive and send email from 7
> different POP/SMTP locations (which I have), then I
> should be allowed to do so.

Sure.  Just get up-to-date and use authenticated SMTP.

> For *YEARS* I have asked for an ISP that doesn't treat
> me like a moron...someone who will give me an IP and
> bandwidth, and leave me the F%^&* alone.  Speedfactory
> does that, and I appreciate them for it.

You can still have all the bandwidth and IP(s) that you want with out
needing to directly connect to port 25 on MY servers.  What gives you
the right to demand complete access to my ports via a network that you
don't own?  I don't want you to block outbound port 25, I want your
provider's provider to do it.

> And I can guarantee you that when I start doing some
> hosting, I will do my best to keep Speedfactory
> involved.  They know how to be the ISP for a techie,
> and I will show my appreciation for that as much as I
> can and in any way that I can.

<yawn>

-Jim P.