[ale] ALE NE meeting

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Thu Jan 6 20:32:33 EST 2005

Barry Hawkins wrote:
> The blurb at LinkSys[0] touts SpeedBooster as:
> 'SpeedBooster technology is a compatible add-on to standard Wireless-G,
> which increases "real-world" wireless network performance by up to 35%
> enhancement to Wireless-G'
>
> So it's not the channel-pairing hack I originally thought it was.

Yep. Its a compression thing, it compresses the data before shipping it over
the air. I'm sure for html and other text or highly compressible material,
it'll be great. But for the things I'm interested, like streaming mpeg and
other video formats, it'll be worthless.

Although, from a hackability standpoint, the gs has more ram, flash, and cpu
power than the plain g has.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org