[ale] Problems w/ (VERY) new hardware...

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 20:14:00 EST 2005

Allrighty...

(rolls up sleeves)

NVIDIA installation for the noob.

Easy cheese here...

Download the package in the usual way, to your home directory.

Open a terminal window, and become your root user.  This is usually
accomplished through more secure ways, but use the "su" program.  (switch
user) .  Once you run "su" you will be prompted for Root's password.  Once
you become root, your prompt will change from a dollar sign ($) to a pound
sign (#), indicating you are now in root mode.  (BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU
TYPE, AS YOU ARE NOW GOD ON YOUR SYSTEM)

Once here, type the following command:

init 3

This will cause a good number of things to occur, but do not be alarmed.
You may or may not be re -presented with a prompt...don't worry about this.
You can simply press <ENTER> once all the churning is done, and you should
be back to a prompt.

Navigate to where the file is (/home/kelly I'd assume).

(you may have already given it proper permissions, but I'll go into it here)

Type the following at your prompt:

chmod 755 <filename>

This will give the file permissions that allow you to run it.  Once it is
ready to run

(ls -al displays permissions on the file of -rwxr-xr-x)

Finally, run the file:

./<FILENAME>

It will bring you into a menu, and you will need to accept the license, etc.
etc.

Once your install is done, type the following:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Use your console text editor (I prefer vi).  You may have pico installed
which would be much easier for you to use first time, but I'd suggest
learning vi if at all possible.

Follow the directions to edit xorg.conf

(if I recall, make sure that the line reading Load glx is commented and Load
GLCore isn't or something......I don't remember)

Once you've exited and saved the xorg.conf file, it's time to re-enter
runlevel 5.  That can be as simple as "init 5" just like you did when in X
earlier to enter runlevel 3.

Now as anathema as some people find it, you can also just reboot.  The only
drawback there is if there's a problem.  Then it'll try and force you to
init 5, and fail and fail,etc.  You choose which method you'd prefer....the
one I list here, or the one Nathan gave.

If all went well, you should see the Nvidia logo, and then a pretty new X
desktop.  It won't look very different, but GL will be recognized and your
games should start being run properly.

Finally, if you need anything else the other suggestion of coming to an ALE
meeting is definitely a good move.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
McKesson, Inc.