[ale] Get this, guys...

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 5 10:14:14 EST 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 09:25, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Again...  $160/day gross.
>
> NO benefits.
> NO travel (job is in oregon)
> NO per deim for hotel & expenses.
>
> I make around twice this now, and roughly break even
> every month.
>
> You guys should really go read the SAGE salary survey.
>  I get the feeling everyone believes this is an
> appropriate salary for a Sysadmin.   Nothing could be
> further from the truth.  I'm really not the @$$hole
> here.  Why is everyone so ready to take considerably
> less than they're worth on this list?
>
> I've met some of you.  MANY are worth more than the
> 40k this yahoo was offering.

Jerald - I think the guys were just giving you a good-natured ribbing. I took
it as humor. I certainly would not contract in Oregon for $20 an hour -
unless travel was included! Then it might be worth it - I drive real slow and
get good mileage ;-)

When I was in college I worked as a stringer for a small local weekly
newspaper. We got paid by the column inch of news print, and so much per
mile. I made a lot more money covering stories that involved a little bit of
travel. There was also a fine line between being brief and succint (and
getting your story published) versus being wordy and actually earning a
couple pennies every now and then.