[ale] Problems with a modem.

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Tue Jan 4 19:27:14 EST 2005

I just went round and round with a USR 56K modem until I decided to
replace it.  I was trying to connect to Earthlink.  For some reason the
USR modem would not pass the account authentication info correctly.  I
dug up an old microcom 28.8 that worked fine.

But back to your problem, Why are you using minicom and not your
disto's default dialer?  Mini com is great for manually making a
connection or trouble shooting but you should have "pon" and "pof"
scripts that will dial up your ISP with wvdial, pass your logon
credentials and set up a PPP session.  KDE has a nice wizard to config
this through the GUI.   What are you trying to talk to?  I noticed
after my modem had reached the LCP timeout threshold it would drop the
line but the dialer wvdial or chat would still act like it was
connected.  I had to manually hang up the modem or it would stay
"connected" all night.

This is a link to a great write up on dial up networking.

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Mark