[ale] Distro Reply

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 4 16:04:48 EST 2005

James Baldwin wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2005, at 12:08, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Yes I do.  THe whole thread was started regarding choosing a distro
>> for an production environment.  I can't see putting something into
>> such an environment with a kernel that is that old.
>

> I think you're confusing a feature freeze with a code freeze. While the
> earlier kernels (2.0, 2.2, and 2.4) are no longer actively _extended_
> they are actively maintained. Bug fixes and security fixes are back ported.

No, I'm not.  The point is, point me to any other distro that's sitting
on kernel 2.2 as the default kernel at this time?  I know the kernels
are still maintained, but there are things in 2.4/2.6 that you will not
find in 2.2.  There are changes that can not be backported.

Oh, you really shouldn't respond to two messages in one response like
that, it can screw up threading.

--
Until later, Geoffrey