[ale] post-Xmas hardware upgrades

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 4 08:20:19 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 00:15, Pete Hardie wrote:
> As is typical, the kids got some new PC stuff that requires I upgrade
> some of their hardware.  Right now, I'm trying to drop 8Mb+ AGP 3D
> video into an old Gateway E3200.
>
> The problem is that the AGP slot is not at the edge of the mobo - it's
> in the middle of the board.

AGP slots are not at the edge of the board for a reason. It keeps people
from putting the wrong card into them. If the card won't fit into the
slot AND mechanically connect to the case card support frame allowing
access at the back, it's

A. Not an AGP slot
B. Not an AGP card
C. All of the above.

Many older pc's have a proprietary slot that looks similar to the older
AGP slots and are in a similar position. These were used for various
things with wierd modems and very non-standard video cards being the
most common uses.

Odds are good that if you get a right angle adapter and plug in that
video card that you will not get a video signal from or you may damage
it.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>