[ale] Distro Reply

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Mon Jan 3 17:15:56 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 12:41 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> John P. Healey wrote:
> > Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> writes:
> >
> >>Yeah...  I don't get that either.  The most mature products on the planet
> >>are not an option...
> >

> > He's probably looking to broaden his horizons and explore packaging systems
> > that aren't rpm based.  Also, I fail to see how Debian is any less mature than
> > redhat, mandrake, and fedora.
>
> Stable Debian running a 2.2 kernel.  To me, that is not mature, that is
> old.  Personal opinion.

Stable Debian is 3.0r4 released on 1 January 2005.  Debian supports many
hardware architectures, some of which only have a 2.2 kernel.  Debian
3.0 was originally released 19 July 2002 so the default install kernel
is a 2.2 based kernel, however a 2.4 kernel is optional and available on
x86 hardware at boot time.

--
Raylynn Knight <audilover at speedfactory.net>