[ale] New Topic

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sun Jan 2 18:31:16 EST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 6:13 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 17:20 -0500, Mark Wright wrote:
>> On Jan 2, 2005, at 3:48 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>> I too love MACs, and have been considering a (more than iPod)
>>> purchase
>>> for some time now.  One of the things that holds me back is the lack
>>> of
>>> hardware flexibility that exists in the Wintel arena.
>>
>> What do you mean by flexibility?
>
> Availability of a wide range of add-on hardware (i did say "hardware
> flexibility" above), not just hardware blessed by Apple.  I was
> speaking
> not just of Apple's laptop line, but more so regarding their G line
> (specifically MIDI hardware, not to mention software).

Just wondered.  When I ask most folks it usually comes down to one
thing they do on wintel that they want to do exactly the same on Mac.
Same issues I have when I recommend Linux to friends.  They come back
with an Ultimate Puzzle game pack CD that if Linux  can't run it they
are going back to windows 98.

>> That is exactly why I have never bought an intel laptop.  Mac laptops
>> have
>> for me out lasted wintel laptops in long term usability two to one.
>> That, I attribute to flexible (supperior) design.
>
> Are you referring to tensile strength?

Nope,  I was guessing at your usage of the word and making my comment
from that assumption.