[ale] Using wireless between networks

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 30 21:16:53 EDT 2005

Michael,
You can use the Linksys WRT54GS units to do a WDS network which is one
way of doing what you want to do.  I have flashed both routers I am
using with the Sveasoft firmware and followed the directions on the
forums to setup a WDS network.  There are probably better ways to do it
but that is what I did.  Wifi routers won't setup the wireless network
automatically.  You can to specify how the routers talk in wifi language
to make it work right.  If your bridging wired networks then you can do
P2P, point to point.  If you need to have wifi clients, like notebooks
or laptops, attach to the wifi network then you need one router to act
as an access point.  I don't know the lingo to layout what you need.  I
am sure others here can do it without having to look all this lingo up. :)

Normally a wifi router and a wifi access point from the same
manufacturer like Linksys will have directions on how to do what you
want.  I used orginally the Linksys firmware on a Linksys WRT54GS router
and a Linksys WAP11 to setup just what your talking about.  It wasn't
alot of trouble, just tried several combinations of wifi modes until it
worked.  Very little security in this so be warned about using none or
WEP.  Those insecure modes are about equivalent. ;)  I'm not using the
WAP11 as it seems to have died.  I have about 5 of the WRT54GS units for
use as backup firewalls.  I'm still learning how to make use of them
properly.  Very powerful once you get the setup done correctly and learn
how to use them properly.
Dow