[ale] Dual core CPUs in cluster?

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 28 12:42:05 EDT 2005

Here were our real working quotes between single and dual cores:

Quote A $58881
20 single core dual nodes for 248 Opterons at 2.2GHz
Total 40 CPUs
20 Ammasso cards

Quote B $56116
14 dual core dual nodes for 265 Opterons at 1.8GHz
Total 52 CPUs
14 Ammasso cards

Upgrading option B to 275 Opterons would be 249.50 per CPU or $12974 additional cost.

So Quote A = 40 CPU 248 Opterons = $58881
Equiv Quote B= 52 CPU 275 Opterons= $69090
We elected 40 single core 250 Opterons=$68281

Unfortunately the configuration didn't have additional 248 based dual nodes as an option so I don't have a number for 52 CPUs in 248 single core Opterons.  That would've filled out the comparison.  Plus additional rack and UPS and switch would be needed.  24 nodes fills out the switch but would've required another rack.  Oh well, configuring this stuff takes a bit of a learning curve to get it right.  I deleted the cost of the 3Ware card at $450 to make the quotes equivalent in all included equipment.
Dow