[ale] Basic web design fee

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Apr 26 17:06:33 EDT 2005

I'll tell you what I've been charging, and what I do, and maybe it'll give you
a little bit of reference.

I am currently charging 10 dollars an hour to design a website, content
management system, database, and manage a server for Phi Lambda Upsilon, a
national chemistry fraternity ( http://philambdaupsilon.org ).  I am charging
far less than what the work is really worth, because I'm using it as my
chance to learn and work with all of the above.  I've been creating my own
homebrewed content management system for their use, designing the site, and
adding features like the ability to download any of the site content as a
pdf, or get it in print-friendly format. In other words, I'm giving them a
good deal by charging them very little, and getting a good deal by
essentially getting paid to learn what I want/need to learn anyway. I'd
suggest a similar route for you, especially as it sounds like you are looking
to learn more.

In regards to using FrontPage, all I'll say is that it's a terrible idea if
you're looking to do any web design.  As others have noted, hand-coding is
the surest way to clean code. If you absolutely must have a GUI, go with
something that creates good, valid markup.  I couldn't tell you offhand if
any of the editors others mention will do this, but NVU is probably pretty
decent from what I saw of it. (I write all of my html, PHP and CSS in vim,
because it's the easiest way for me to work on server-side files and code).

Final thoughts: Use valid code and markup (I use XHTML 1.0 and CSS2) that's
cross browser compatible, and don't use tables for design and positioning,
that's what CSS is there for. Following those principles may seem like a
pointless pain in the rear but in the long run it saves you a LOT of time and
effort cleaning up spaghetti code and tracking down bizarre bugs.

-Jay