[ale] firefox on Linux questions (middle click close tab)

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 26 14:57:52 EDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:03:16PM -0400, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Ok, I'm now running Linux as my preferred desktop of choice.  However,
> I've noticed that in Linux, when I middle click on a tab in Firefox, it
> doesn't close the tab.  In fact, sometimes I get very bizarre/unrelated
> websites that appear in the tab.

I think Netscape/Mozilla has always had this feature on X11:
middle-clicking anywhere in the document (except on a link) is
equivalent to pasting the contents of the clipboard in the address bar
and hitting enter.  The first couple of times I experienced this I was
confused and irritated.  Now it's so second-nature I don't know how I
could get along without it.

> Does anyone have any idea what this behaviour is, and how I can set FF
> to close a tab when it's middle clicked on (with the mouse wheel; I'm on
> x86 not PPC).

I think I remember reading somewhere that if you turn off the
middle-click paste feature then you get the middle-click-closes-tab
behavior.  You can disable the middle-click paste feature by typing
about:config in the address bar and hitting enter.  Then type
middlemouse.paste in the Filter field and double click the line below to
toggle true to false.  You may have to restart firefox for the change to
take effect.

If that doesn't work, try searching the mozillazine forums at
http://forums.mozillazine.org.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9