[ale] Dual core CPUs in cluster?

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 26 13:08:25 EDT 2005

Anyone have advice on whether there are issues with parallel
applications in a dual core vs single core cluster environment?  I have
an option of getting dual core 275 Opterons vs single core 248
Opterons.  Will be using the Ammasso 1100 interconnect for low latency.
20 nodes if single core or 14 nodes if dual core based on pricing.  Just
wondering if anyone has any thoughts?  Main application is NAMD and
secondary is Schrodinger's Jaguar.  I have access to the NAMD cvs and
will have Pathscale compilers on the cluster.  Thanks,
Dow