[ale] Data Recovery

Grant Robertson f.grant.robertson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:20:52 EDT 2005

Believe it or not. The client, who is somewhat clued, took the drive
home and used western digital's on trak? something like that.. and it
worked. I asked her though, what she was using for a motherboard, and
she said Tyan. I remember this box, I helped her build it, and it was
a really bad a** tyan tiger dual board. I'll say it again, Tyan or
Asus. There is little other choice. Could it really be a better ide
chipset that makes this fly?

<shrug> who knows what it was that made it work. I'm just happy that I
didn't have to make almost no money facilitating the whole thing and
that she didn't get screwed on the deal and have to rebuild her data.

I'll have to admit, I'm a little disillusioned that the linuxcare boot
CD didn't get further than it did. I've done amazing tricks with it in
the past. Between that and spending the day trying to get grub to boot
on a netfinity 5000 (pII 400.. it seemed like a great development box
until I spent 10 hours trying to load debian, sepreate thread.) I'm a
little down on linux. I ordered a brand new box today for debian to go
on, but this netfinity is making me mad. I'm thinking I'm going to buy
it from my employer ($50 probably) becuase I know I'll eventually make
it boot, it's just too expensive to do it on their dime. Am I nuts?

-G