[ale] Shell process control : Manipulating a process after having logged out and then logging in again

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:23:26 EDT 2005

On 4/25/05, Aditya Srinivasan wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
>
> > Check out 'screen'. Way cool tool.
>
> I could not agree more ... easily the most prductivity enhancing tool that
> I've learnt to use yet.
>
> However on this one occassion I did not use screen as it was not installed
> on that particular box ... and was curious about how I could "grab back"
> the output.
>
> Thanks,
> sriad

I suspect that stdout was closed, or reopened as /dev/null.

If the process is still running, you can use ps to get the pid, then
   cd /proc/<pid>/fd      where <pid> is the actual proces pid number

Then "ls -l" will show you what files the process has open with full path.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group