[ale] Perl Obfuscation

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Apr 21 09:24:13 EDT 2005

Aler's,

I know we;ve discussed this before.  I'm in need of a great Perl
obfuscater program.  I'm currently testing Acme::EyeDrops and
Acme::Bleach.  I'm also thinking about investing in a commercial
available system.  Anyone have suggestions of a good commercial program
that can obfuscate my code without breaking it?

I was leaning heavily on Acme::EyeDrops yesterday until I found out that
it does not support programs that call die() automatically.  Then if you
want that support you need to turn it on when calling sightly().  Even
with the switch on there still may be problems per the man page.  We
have some complicated programs many that use eval { } to wrap around
database calls to protect against program death.  We also have dies to
kill a program when bad things go wrong.  I need something that will
hide this code without compromising the way it operrates.

Chris