[ale] Recording "iPod"

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Wed Apr 20 23:48:15 EDT 2005

On 04/20/05 at  7:07 PM Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
>  This looks just like what I need. And cheaper than the iPod too.
> How easy is it to manage multiple playlists on the thing? I've
> got gobs of CDs I wanna put on here and they are of a very WIDE
> style so random shuffle of the whole mess won't cut it. Also what
> do you think of the picture viewing? Does it just resize to fit
> the display or keep its natural size? How clear is it? Do you buy
> these locally or online?

It'll play from a m3u file so i guess its easy to just keep different
ones and let it play through them.  I don't use this feature though, I
usually just start playing from a folder.  I'll try it out and see how
it does....  Hmm.. well I guess it works pretty well.  I just used
winamp to make a playlist and saved it to the drive and loaded it and
its playing.  I hadn't used this feature before.

The image viewing is not too bad. It shrinks it to the screen.  As far
as I can tell you can't make it expand it either and pan around.

The UI is nice and clean.  The display is sharp.

I bought my h320 at Best Buy, but they were on clearance and might be
hard to find.

If you are willing to play around a little, then you can get it to play
video as well since the chip can do it.  You have to load some firmware
and a couple other small things too.  I haven't done this yet myself
though. (probably won't since I just got a PSP!)

One thing that's nice is that it just works on Winblows/OS X/Linux as a
drive.  No funky drivers to load anywhere.