[ale] Lost in updateville

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 15 13:48:22 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:26 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Being a firm believer in the notion that what you do NOT know
> can sur'in hell bite you in the butt, I have a question:
>
> First a preface:
>
> Was told last night at the ALE meeting that the only way to solve
> my CD burning issues was to do a clean update of KDE rpms using
> the material available on SourceForge. So, this morning went off to
> SourceForge and am ready to follow directions -- only I don't
> trust them.
>
> I am told to download a file [kde-redhat.repo] and drop it
> into /etc/yum.repos.d/   (I am using yum 2.1.11 on a FC3 system.)
> Did that.
>
> This is a text file with pointers (?) to kde-redhat-stable,
> -stable-all, -kde-redhat-testing, -testing-all, -unstable, and
> -unstable-all.  I do not think I want to be downloading material
> from the testing and unstable repositories. Yet my yum.conf file
> has a line "pkgpolicy=newest".
>
> So much for the preface. My question is this:
>
>   Do I need to edit this file [kde-redhat.repo] to remove references
> to the testing and unstable branches? Or comment them out with "#" ?
>
> Sean

If you do a "yum search kde", you will get a listing of every KDE
package your yum setup knows about. Then find the version number you
want to use and select the specific app from that version number and
"yum install app-version". It will then setup the dependancy chain you
need based on your system configuration.

Here's a yum repo that is very solid. It's called DAG. It is built using
the default/as shipped Fedora releases with the updates applied. So far,
everything I have pulled from there has been good. Install the DAG GPG
key for verification checking.

dag.repo

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core