[ale] dump and ACL's

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Sat Apr 9 04:38:21 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> I noticed on a recent dump (I actually watched the screen during the
> startup of a manual run) of an ext3 filesystem that all of the ACL's
> were skipped ("ACL on inode xxxxx skipped").
>
> Why?

older dumps don't support ACLs / EAs

1. use old dump + restorecon afterward (works if you don't mind the
errors, and don't customize)

2. use beta dump with support for EAs

Fedora Core 3 updates and 4 when it ships have the new dump with EA
support. RHEL 3 and 4 doesn't yet since it's fairly beta. If it's
important to you to have it supported for RHEL, harass your support
critter (not an option with Centos, but you get what you pay for ;-) about
getting it updated in the next quarterly update. If you don't care about
support, just use the beta one from Fedora or build your own from
sourceforge....

> How does tar handle this? (I don't think it does ACL inode data either)

it doesn't, but star does

later,
chris