[ale] Burning CDs

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Fri Apr 8 14:17:13 EDT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 11:08 am, Robert Heaven wrote:
| What device name are you using in the command line? (dev=/dev/hdc should
| be correct for FC3)

I am not certain I understand the question.

As root, from a clean boot, I can mount the CD burner this way:
root prompt} mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

footnote:  I shouldn't have to add the -t flag, but I do. Even though
the matching line in fstab looks like this:

> /dev/hdc      /mnt/cdrom     iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

Once mounted the drive works as a read-only device just fine.

Now I can mount the USB CD reader with essentially the same command,
but without the -t flag: mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom1

Go figure.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem seems to be centered
in the program cdrecord. Doesn't matter if I run it from the command
line with the --scanbus option or try to run either xcdroast or the
KDE app, (both of which immediately call cdrecord --scanbus).  Either
way, the program hangs. Now I can issue a kill-9 [PID] for the GUI
software and stop them, but cdrecord just sits there. I can't kill it.
If I have started it from the command line, the shell becomes unusable
as a prompt will not return.
If, from the root prompt I run the command this way:

> /usr/bin/cdrecord dev=b,t,l driveropts=help -checkdrive

(to get a list of drive specific options) I get this response, along
with some useless data:  "Invalid argument. Invalid bus or target specifier
in 'b,t,l'. Cannot open SCSI driver."

So I am left wondering why can't cdrecord open the SCSI driver?
checking the version of cdrecord, I get this: cdrecord-2.01.1-5
As far as I know that is the most current version from RedHat, this
being a FC3 system.

Sean