[ale] [OT] - Motorola V551 Cell Phone

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Mon Apr 4 10:21:53 EDT 2005

I'm looking at switching [back] to Cingular for my cellular service.
The biggest reasons are coverage, bluetooth capability, and their edge
network.  I've currently got Nextel.  The novelty of the direct connect
is wearing off, and I miss the extensive coverage that I had with
Cingular.  I'm looking specifically at the Motorola V551.  My goal would
be to be able to use the phone with a bluetooh headset (so as long as I
was within 10' - 20' of the phone, I could receive calls), and use the
phone as a bluetooth modem for my laptops (1 dual boot windows / linux,
1 iBook [which I'm using more and more]).  For the purpose of this
discussion, let's assume that I've got the Bluetooth working on the
computer end of this equasion with all of the involved OS's (WinXP Pro,
FC3, Mac OS X).  Has anyone got this setup and working, and care to
share their experience(s)?

--

registered linux user # 73046