[ale] [OT]: dsl splitter?

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Sat Apr 2 17:19:40 EST 2005

Ok, well, I've been busy in my home network center (aka patch panel). I
have basically wired it as you said, but instead of a little splitter,
I'm using a spare 2-line patch module (basically the same thing, except
it can split into up to nine jacks, instead of just 2).

So basically, I have raw phonline into the house, it's split, one line
from the split goes straight into my dsl modem (which now lives in the
patch cabinet, instead of upstairs in my office), one line goes to
another patch module via a filter, and from there all the phones are
connected. The catch is the alarm line.

I've found that when I *disconnect* the line to the alarm box, my
downstream bandwidth goes to hell (falling from ~ 2800 kbps to 60 kbps).
If my alarm line is connected, speed is good. The catch is, if I connect
the alarm line behind the filter, its like it not being connected at
all. So, in essence, I've split the phoneline into the house 3 ways: one
line to the dsl modem, one line to the alarm box, and one line through a
filter to the rest of the phones in the house.

Weird huh? To make sure I wasn't crazy, I called the alarm company and
tested the alarm (which required setting the alarm off, which I'm sure
wasn't very popular with my next door neighbors that just had twins, but
oh well, at least it was in the middle of the afternoon). In this
configuration, the alarm works. I also just called speedfactory, and my
previously abysmal line noise problem is much better they said.

This has been a bit of an experience. At least it provided me the excuse
to by a new rj6/rj45 crimp tool :)

Mike

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307