[ale] [OT]: dsl splitter?

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Sat Apr 2 11:21:24 EST 2005

its the divide that you can put at the heart of your phone network that
splits DSL from voice (thus eliminating filters on all your phones). Its
preferred, even required, when you're telco setup includes an alarm.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

I've been cruising along with filters on all my lines for a while now,
but the alarm has quit working (and I've got high noise on my line), so
I'm working to fix this the "right way".

Mike

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Mike Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can pick up a dsl splitter (as destinct from
>>> a DSL filter, which I have plenty of)? My first thought was Fry's but
>>> I'd rather save myself the drive from the inner ghetto to outer
>>> mongolia, as well as the usual $300+ credit card charge I incur every
>>> time I walk in there.
>>>
>>> I'm specifically looking for an indoor splitter (one that will fit
>>> standardized home networking centers would be nice) which has modular
>>> *and* screw terminal connectors. One that just has modular connectors
>>> would be ok too, I guess.
>>

>> Okay, so clue me in.  What is a dsl splitter and what does it do?  I
>> assume it enables you to send the dsl signal to two dsl devices,
>> therefore having effectively two dsl connections?  I don't know enough
>> about the technology to see how this could possibly work.
>>
>> Ignorant minds want to know (more)!
>>
> I too am curious about this DSL splitter.  I thought a DSL spliter would
> amount to a switch.  I am fairly certain that you can only have on dsl
> modem per phone line.
>
> Calvin...

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307