[ale] Q: Enabling VNC into Fedora-C3

H. Adrin Story adrin at haswes.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 1 22:23:30 EST 2005

Did you get this to work?

Here is the wrong way to do it.
If you are running vncserver on a linux box the default, I think it to
run on display :1  This is port 5901.  Unless you do some port
forwarding it will not run on port 5900, at least not that I know of.
Now if you are connecting from a linux machine you will need to do this
vncviewer <IP address>:1   You should get a prompt for a password.
It is the same for a windows vnc client.

Now if you are running vncserver on a windows machine you can leave of
the display number and just connect with the IP address.

Often times I will test the connect and status of vncserver by telneting
to the port. I will get some sort of reply other than a refused.
telnet <ip address> 5901

Funny, telnet is one of my favorite tools to use, and not what it was
designed to be used for.

You can open the port on your firewall say port 5901 or 5900. You can
also open a port for each display. Having a different display on each box.

NOW:  Keep in mind, I understand that this is not good practice. VNC is
not encrypted.

The suggestion before to use ssh to do port forwarding is the way to go.

I seem to remember reading an article this week. Where IT is sometimes
the biggest security problem.

Adrin